Sunday, July 10, 2011

Do I have decent ears or am I just not formally taught?

I am just really asking this so maybe I can know whether I have been moving to the correct direction since I started guitar. I have been playing the guitar for 5 years but I have always been self taught, but throughout my life even before I started guitar I have been improvising to songs in my mind whenever I hear a song that catches my senses. So when I picked up the guitar I immediately began by improvising to songs, but with a guitar instead of humming or imagine the notes in my mind. Sometimes when I really like a part of a song that wasn't too technical or quick I just played it on the guitar right away and it sounded pretty identical and at the exact pitch. I basically started "composing" shorty later when I got a little bit more familiar with the "patterns and feeling of notes" which were really music theory that I now know of. After I got comfortable with the technical side I started looking up the internet about music theory and noticed that they were really things I already knew but couldn't identify previously. Since then the only thing I did was "compose" and sometimes I would improvise with a song I really like, because if I were to play a song "tab for tab" I thought I would rather listen to the song. Gradually I could jump around a scale in my head in different octaves meanwhile my technical sense for the location of a note on the fret would lag behind. Sometimes I would purposely play a note that sounds "wrong" or doesn't belong to a scale and try to make sense out of it and see if I can fit it into an "atmosphere" and make a riff out of it. I always like to associate a musical piece with an image and "atmosphere" or mood, and often with colors or textures, which helps when I try to make something or guess the intention or rationale of the artist of a song. On top of guitar I played piano briefly when I was little and if it matters I also sometimes imitate playing a bass by detuning my guitar and amp. I always had a mixed feeling that I might have well trained/born ears and at the same time I would guess everyone is pretty much similar, but that extra bit of guidance that the teacher-taught players have makes me question about the way I approached learning the guitar. It would be an insight for me if you can provide your thoughts or opinions about my approach even if they're short and brief, so I might be able to also see from other people's perspective and get a better view of the complete picture. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment